Swine Flu - Online Discussion Homepage Click to Translate to English  Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese

Welcome to Swineflu.org

Swineflu.org was created April 22, 2009 as the first ever website and online discussion forum dedicated to tracking the h1N1 swine flu pandemic.  Since then, swineflu.org and its forum members have been  tracking the swine flu's evolutionary process as a mutation in the virus could result in a significant public health risk.  Swineflu.org is dedicated to tracking all emerging influenza viruses and pandemic flu threats.

Health Alert:  New strain of the Ebola virus recently emerged causing a large scale outbreak in West Africa.  The outbreak in West Africa is surging and engulfing the region.  WHO officials are doubtful of containing the virus.   The infectious Ebola virus is spread by human-to-human transmission and close contact.  Experts are cautioning that the virus may reach North America resulting in sporadic cases.

News:  World Health Organization declares an International Public Health Emergency

News:  CDC raises their Alert Level to Level 1, which is its highest level reserved for only the most serious public health emergencies

For more information on the Ebola outbreak, feel free to also visit us at EbolaInfo.org!

H1N1 Swine Flu Information & Online Discussion

Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > General Discussion
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SWINEFLU.ORG FORUMS

You can get swine flu twice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AnotherOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: You can get swine flu twice
    Posted: October 27 2009 at 3:11pm
http://www2.wsls.com/sls/news/local/article/you_can_get_swine_flu_twice/57860/

So you think you’ve had swine flu and don’t need to get a vaccination.  A local doctor says think again.

Dr. Mudassar Chaudry, an infectious disease expert with Lewis Gale Medical Center, says most H1N1 cases are just suspected and have not been confirmed.

Chaudry says even if a lab test confirms you do indeed have swine flu, that doesn’t mean you can’t get it again.

“If truly it was swine flu, still the virus can mutate in the same season.“, says Chaudry.  “You can still become ill again with a slightly different strain of the same virus.“

Chaudry says the virus can even mutate to the point it becomes resistant to anti-viral drugs like Tamiflu.

Just spotted this and wondered what your thoughts were?

Guinn View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guinn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 3:42pm
My thoughts are, that the virus might mutate, sure...but if you've already truly had it, then your antibodies should be able to fight "most of it" (the part that hasn't mutated) it, and you won't get sick. Or if you do get sick, it shouldn't be too bad at all.
But hey...I'm not doctor!
Just like they say if you had a "relative" of other flu strains in past years, that it helps you if you get a new strain related to the old one.
(I can't explain it!)

gardener View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

I.C.U Pediatric Doc

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote gardener Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 27 2009 at 5:42pm
If the mutation is in the part(s) of the virus to which you've developed antibody, you can get infected again. if the new virus is antigenically similar to the old one, but only changed in some virulence factor, you should be safe. The same goes for the vaccine.
Pickwicky View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pickwicky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:02pm
Otherwise, why have a vaccine.
Apoptosis View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Apoptosis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2009 at 5:17pm
Originally posted by Guinn Guinn wrote:

My thoughts are, that the virus might mutate, sure...but if you've already truly had it, then your antibodies should be able to fight "most of it" (the part that hasn't mutated) it, and you won't get sick. Or if you do get sick, it shouldn't be too bad at all.
But hey...I'm not doctor!
Just like they say if you had a "relative" of other flu strains in past years, that it helps you if you get a new strain related to the old one.
(I can't explain it!)

Somewhat wrong.

Originally posted by gardener gardener wrote:

If the mutation is in the part(s) of the virus to which you've developed antibody, you can get infected again. if the new virus is antigenically similar to the old one, but only changed in some virulence factor, you should be safe. The same goes for the vaccine.

This
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic   

Quick Reply
Name:

NoFollow is applied to all links from this forum
 Enable BBcodes
Security Code:
Code Image - Please contact webmaster if you have problems seeing this image code  Refresh Refresh Image
Please enter the Security Code exactly as shown in image format.
Cookies must be enabled on your web browser.