Swine Flu - Online Discussion Homepage Click to Translate to English  Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese

Welcome to Swineflu.org

Swineflu.org was created April 22, 2009 as the first ever website and online discussion forum dedicated to tracking the h1N1 swine flu pandemic.  Since then, swineflu.org and its forum members have been  tracking the swine flu's evolutionary process as a mutation in the virus could result in a signature public health risk.  Swineflu.org is dedicated to tracking all emerging influenza viruses and pandemic flu threats.

H1N1 Swine Flu Information & Online Discussion

Forum Home Forum Home > Flu Clinic Online > Flu Clinic Online (Need help?)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SWINEFLU.ORG FORUMS

H1N1?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: H1N1?
    Posted: October 19 2009 at 7:55am
Hi Ya'll

My youngest son (8) had a fever on Saturday-but was low grade (99.3) when I retook 4 times-it was normal. I assumed I had a bad thermometer. Yesterday however-with new thermometer his temp was 99.3 and gradually increased over the day with the highest at 4:30 am this morning at 103.1. 

His nose is stuffy, he is complaining of an upset stomach. He is also more pale than his usual. He had a dry cough a few days ago but none since.

The pedi called in Tamiflu but he was not swabbed.

He has complained of "hearing someone crying" last night??

So questions:

Could this be something other than H1N1?

Could the "hearing someone crying" comment be associated with Tamiflu side effects?

We are trying to be extra cautious as we have another son with asthma and other underlying health conditions.

Thanks for any help.
mamamichele View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamichele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 8:27am

Welcome Kymomma!

I am not a medical professional, but it is my opinion that the high temperature could have caused febrile hallucinations.......(hearing the  crying). My advice is to watch closely. Maybe with the Tamiflu the temp. will come on down.  I know when my kids had the H1N1 a few weeks back, the Tamiflu really seemed to help with the temp. Of course, they were also taking tylenol and ibuprophen per doctor's instructions.

Hope he feels better, soon!

Michele

MamamicheleTN
thanks4forum View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanks4forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 8:54am
kymomma..welcome! Sorry to hear your 8 yr old is not feeling well.
With his fever being 103 ish...be sure to remember to keep him hydrated.

How long has he been on Tamiflu? (was it called in on Sat...or yesterday?..or )
I'm not from the medical field..am just a mom.:).  My thoughts would be that his fever wasn't really high enough to cause "hearing things" may be wrong....
anecdotal things about Tamiflu include many strange or unusual behaviors in children...(I would lean towards that being the cause...unless you have a cat which can make those sounds..haha)
Tamiflu is supposedly designed to interrupt the immune response ...am learning more as time goes on.

your question:Could it be something else?: yes, possibly...yet, I imagine his pediatrician took many of those things into consideration prior to treating for presumptive H1N1.
Keep an eye out for any subtle changes in breathing...or lung issues.Some have had headaches for several days as well(not sure if med induced or just par for the course with virus.)
bottom line: alert your Pediatrician if he doesn't seem to be improving.
Lots of TLC...and comforting thoughts may help your "young man" on his road to recovery.!Smile

kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 12:57pm
Well his twin sister is being treated now :( and older brother (10) with underlying health issues on preventative Tamiflu.

The fever is being stubborn but is coming down some...the nurse said not to be concerned about getting it down to around normal but that the concern would be if it didn't come down at all and it was extremely high.

I think the Tamiflu is making them extremely hyper but I am thankful for it. Hopefully now though our oldest won't get it. She's 17.

Thanks for the advice and well wishes :)
Jen147 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2009 at 5:53pm
Welcome kymomma!  Sorry to hear that you are having to deal with the Pig.  Like the others have said keep a close check on him and listen to your gut instincts.  At least the other children will be protected from this exposure.  Keep us updated on how you all are doing when you can.
TN
kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 6:01am
Everyone seems completely back to "normal" - it's bizzare and makes me wonder if this is the pig.  8 year old has residual cough but has been fever free for about 18 hours.

If this is the pig-it was mild.

My concern is this: if this was not the pig-what happens if they do get the pig? Will the Dr be reluctant to treat with Tami?
mamamichele View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mamamichele Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 6:06am
glad to hear everyone is almost back to nornal at your house.......I thought mine had the pig in early September...........when she really got it at the end of Sept. she had a pretty stong case of it....

I would assume that the tamiflu is still possible if they get sick with the flu again.....my understanding is that it is an antiviral that treats all influenza...so pig or not, seems it is still an option............ I am sure your pediatrician can answer that question for you.

MamamicheleTN
kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 6:19am
Thanks Mamamichele

Hubby and I are still trying to bounce back-cough aches chills and stinging eyes have been the worst for me-no fever at all but I kept feeling like I might have one-weird. Hubby has had aches and horrible headaches (says the worst of his life).

If my chest keeps feeling this junky-I'm going to the dr.
kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 6:37am
Ugh...just rechecked all three-have low grade temps funny bc they feel fine to the touch.
Jen147 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 7:03am
Just keep a check on those temps.  Maybe you'll sneak outta this yet unscathed!  Keep us updated on your families progress as you can.  Hopefully you are trying not to neglect yourself as well... what? a Mom of multiple children neglect herself??? Never!  Yeah right!  Take care of yourself and make sure everyone is ahead on their fluids.  Maybe the low grade in the others is just a fluke, or maybe it wasn't H1N1 to begin with, who knows.  It would be hard to keep 3 kids away from each other in the same house.  Hang in there! 

PS.  IF you plan to vaccinate... do it as soon as they are well enough that way you don't have to keep wondering if every cough and any temp is the pig or not.  Hope today is a good day for you!
TN
kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 20 2009 at 2:54pm
I called the pedi office...they said they are seeing this type of fever with H1N1 and subsequent Tamiflu treatment...that is it lingers at around 99ish for a few days...that thankfully they are on the Tamiflu because who knows what their fevers would be without it! Scary thought.
sweetthing2008 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetthing2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 7:12pm
Hey there. I'm not a doctor, but I am an EMT...
A temperature in the 99's is not considered a fever... to be considered a temp it has to be 100.4 (or 100.0 in the school districts). A temp. of 103 probably would not cause hallucinations or seizures, most docs these days are suggesting not to come in until it reaches 104 or stays at a higher temp uncontrolled (I know this for peds only! Funny, I posted a questions trying to figure out how long I should wait before I take my adult bf to ER for an uncontrolled high temp). HOWEVER!!! Every child is different and if you notice any strange behaviors or they are not drinking take them to the ER right away and use active cooling (placing child in lukewarm tub *not COLD* and placing cool rags on them, same goes for a temp in the 104's. Liquids liquids liquids unless the child seems to be having trouble drinking by himself... also the "skin pinch" test for dehydration is not reliable. Look for dry cracked lips and absence/less frequency or urination or wet diapers!
Like I said, I'm not a doctor, but I thought I'd share the knowledge I do have! Good luck to you all!
Jen147 View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jen147 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2009 at 7:41pm
thanks so much for participating sweetthing!!  We welcome your comments and advise for sure!  Smile
TN
kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 8:01am

Thanks for the info~ since my kids have low baseline (97.5), 99 is a fever for them.

sweetthing2008 View Drop Down
Experienced Member
Experienced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sweetthing2008 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 8:05am

Ah that's very true. It's not super common for kids to have lower temp but definatly possible.

The elderly almost ALWAYS have a lower temp, for some 98.6 is getting temperatur-ish.

Sorry about that! Good luck with your kiddos!

kymomma View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kymomma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2009 at 8:06am
Also interesting to note-pedi said they are having many false positive tests with the rapid test. Some people will think they had H1N1 and may have some immunity but in all actuality, don't. Scary thought. Based upon my kids symptoms-she's as positive as she can be that mine had H1N1.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic