Swine Flu - Online Discussion Homepage Click to Translate to English  Click to Translate to French  Click to Translate to Spanish  Click to Translate to German  Click to Translate to Italian  Click to Translate to Japanese  Click to Translate to Chinese Simplified  Click to Translate to Korean  Click to Translate to Arabic  Click to Translate to Russian  Click to Translate to Portuguese

Welcome to Swineflu.org

Swineflu.org was created April 22, 2009 as the first ever website and online discussion forum dedicated to tracking the h1N1 swine flu pandemic.  Since then, swineflu.org and its forum members have been  tracking the swine flu's evolutionary process as a mutation in the virus could result in a significant public health risk.  Swineflu.org is dedicated to tracking all emerging influenza viruses and pandemic flu threats.

Health Alert:  New strain of the Ebola virus recently emerged causing a large scale outbreak in West Africa.  The outbreak in West Africa is surging and engulfing the region.  WHO officials are doubtful of containing the virus.   The infectious Ebola virus is spread by human-to-human transmission and close contact.  Experts are cautioning that the virus may reach North America resulting in sporadic cases.

News:  World Health Organization declares an International Public Health Emergency

News:  CDC raises their Alert Level to Level 1, which is its highest level reserved for only the most serious public health emergencies

For more information on the Ebola outbreak, feel free to also visit us at EbolaInfo.org!

H1N1 Swine Flu Information & Online Discussion

Forum Home Forum Home > General Discussion > Latest News
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

SWINEFLU.ORG FORUMS

H5N1/H1N1 VIRUS CO-INFECTION - EGYPT

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:38pm

Egypt: Italian suspected of swine flu and bird flu

Rome, 2 Sept. (AKI) - A 35 year-old Italian tourist is one of three people believed to have been infected with A(H1N1) virus, or swine flu, as well as the H5N1 virus, known as avian flu. The patients are recovering in the Egyptian Red Sea resort of Hurghada, said Mohammed Rifai, director general of preventive medicine.

Rifai also spoke of a 28-year-old man who tested positive for both viruses, after arriving at the port of Safaga after a pilgrimage to Saudi Arabia.

"We are waiting the results of the tests that have already been carried out in some patients suspected of having been infected by the H5N1 and the A(H1N1)," said World Health Organisation spokesman Gregory Hartl in an interview with Adnkronos Salute.

"However, at the moment there are no confirmed cases."

Hartl, however, did not want to specify the nationality of the suspected cases.

Last week in Chile, the A(H1N1) virus was found in turkeys, raising concern that poultry farms elsewhere in the world may also become infected with the pandemic swine flu virus.

The United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization interim chief veterinary officer, Juan Lubroth, said that it could theoretically become more dangerous if the A(H1N1) combines with H5N1, commonly known as bird flu, which is far more deadly but harder to pass along among humans.

The emergence of new influenza virus strains capable of affecting humans and domestic animals remains a broader, more general concern that is being closely monitored by FAO, the World Organization for Animal Health and the World Health Organization.

In addition, the first mass vaccinations against swine flu will be available from November in Italy, the Italian government has announced.

The vaccine is expected to be available for those most at risk, an estimated 24 million Italians or 40 percent of the population.

According to Italian media reports, the government is planning to release eight million doses from mid-November until mid-December.

Another 16 million doses of the vaccine are expected to be available from 31 January 2010.

The ministry of health, together with medical officials and regional representatives, will work together with doctors to administer the vaccine free of charge.

In the first phase, the vaccine will be offered to health workers and to those most at risk, including residents of nursing homes and pregnant women as well as family doctors.

Another round of vaccines will be made available to those aged between two and 65 years of age, suffering from respiratory illnesses by the end of the year.

Others aged between two and 27 years will be eligible for another round of vaccines at the end of January.
BabyGirl View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BabyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:39pm
http://www.adnkronos.com/AKI/English/Security/?id=3.0.3724836800
sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:42pm
I posted that article already in this thread.  :)
thanks4forum View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanks4forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:54pm
I'm inclined to watch ECDC on this one.....see what their update today/tomorrow says.
CDC may have been doing "damage control" on the first report..so that they have sufficient time to confirm themselves...and to allow them to flip to the whoops, what do we do/say now to the public page of their pandemic plan.
thanks to all who are diligently looking!!

Sle,Big and red print.....evokes an emotional response which may need to be tempered...with calm. <spoken from the warm & fuzzy one:)>would it cause any harm if I humbly request that red...be softened...to perhaps bolded blue.
fuss at me later..haha

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanks4forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:57pm
 the content..is red hot to begin with....yes!
sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 1:58pm
Want to make sure it gets everyone's attention.  This is potentially an extremely serious find.  Like I said, I'm hoping it's a false alarm.  Maybe no news is good news, huh warm and fuzzy one?
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanks4forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 2:14pm
why do I feel like Mr Miyagi...ha..wax on, wax off
extremely serious...indeed...and as I made gentle reference to where there's smoke...
we all may have to quickly readjust to acceptance...yet will do so thoughtfully
armed with factual information (haha,I'm talking to myself.....I think I can...I think I can)
d4ril View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote d4ril Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 2:45pm
Embarrassedswine flu outbreak is an issue that needs to be looked at seriously. governments should take serious action, invest in research to get the vaccine. Also, i think creating more awareness through campaign will help a great deal as some people do not know much about this virus
sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 4:14pm
Primi casi di infezione di N1H1 unito a N5H1
2 settembre, 2009

In Egitto al Cairo è sono stati riceverati 3 uomini, tra cui un italiano di 35 anni, nei quali i test hanno rilevato la presenza contemporanea del virus A/N1H1 e di quello dell'influenza aviaria il virus A/N5H1, tutti e tre gli uomini sono al momento sotto stretto isolamento e controllati assiduamente per studiare il progredire delle infezioni e l'effetto delle cure che vengono somministrate.
Secondo una dichiarazione di Mohammad Rifai, direttore generale di medicina preventiva, i tre casi si sono manifestati negli ultimi due giorni, mentre altre persone, tra cui 4 bambini, sono ricoverati in vari ospedali della zona col sospetto di aver contratto gli stessi due virus.
Se perverranno conferme su questa doppia infezione ci sarà un ulteriore motivo di preoccupazione e dovranno essere revisionati tutti i piani per combattere l'influenza A alla luce anche di una ricerca di un nuovo vaccino in grado di combattere questa ulteriore infezione.

Translation: 
In Egypt in Cairo and have been receive 3 men, including a 35 year old Italian, in which the tests have detected the simultaneous presence of the virus A/N1H1 and Avian Influenza virus A/N5H1, all three men are currently under strict isolation and monitored closely to study the progression of infection and the effect of the treatment is administered.
According to a statement by Mohammad Rifai, Managing Director of Preventive Medicine, the three cases occurred in the last two days, while others, including 4 children, were hospitalized in various hospitals in the area with the suspicion of having the same two viruses.
If confirmations are received on this double infection there will be a further reason for concern and should be reviewed all the plans to combat influenza A in the light also of a search for a new vaccine to fight this infection further.

sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 5:09pm
Update:  I want to reiterate that Promed and CDC have denied the (1) case - the first reported case.  However, we have 3 more reported cases in articled dated 9/2/09 which have not yet been denied or confirmed.  I guess all we can do is await further details.  Let's not let these 3 cases get lost somewhere.  We need to bring enough attention to these ladder 3 cases to get some answers - whether that be a confirmation or a denial.
matthew23 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 10:52pm
If this does mutate into one virus then the vaccine is worthless.

The worst case will be something with H1N1 speed and spread with H5n1 killing power, what it does to birds, but to humans.

Or it could be nothing at all.
matthew23 View Drop Down
advanced Member
advanced Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote matthew23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 02 2009 at 10:57pm
If this is the mutation then we will know within the next few days as hundreds willl die per day and likely very fast within a week from catching to dieing.

No way could they hide it for more then a week.
markmark9 View Drop Down
V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote markmark9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 2:53am
The swine H1N1 is only named from the 2 genes like all influenza is (HA and NA).

The bridge from avian could come from either H1N2 or H3N2 as swine flu has these avian genes.

Seasonal vaccine covers H1N1 and H3N2 if I am right, not sure about the H1N2?

H2N? from the Asian flu in 1957 would be a wild card, and is why accurate reporting in this region is needed.

My understanding is vaccinations for H5N1 have been under development for if and when re-assortment with current flu occurs.
sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 5:38am

I've learned that if this happened, it is more than likely a "co-transmission".  That means the two viruses would not have created one, but more than likely H5N1 hopped  ride with H1N1 for easy communicability.  Therefore you could "potentially" have a highly communicable virus which is highly virulent... the perfect storm of viruses. 

With that being said, nothing is confirmed.  It could just be a false alarm.  There are so many variables involved as to what this latest story could even actually mean.  We'll just have to wait and see.
sleusha View Drop Down
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator
Missouri Volunteer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sleusha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 7:22am
I'm posting this article here because some of the findings and the latest article make you kind of wonder.. what may be going on.   Postmortem findings of those who have died from H5N1 appear the same as some postmortem findings of those who died from H1N1.   We know that H1N1 contains a portion of bird flu, but could there be more going on than meets the eye?  Maybe co-transmission has been going on under the radar?
Maybe not, but we need to do more research.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
-

Lung damage in fatal swine flu cases more bird flu than seasonal flu: expert

By Helen Branswell Medical Reporter (CP) – 12 minutes ago

TORONTO — The lungs of people who have died from swine flu look more like those of the victims of H5N1 avian influenza than those of people who succumb to regular flu, the chief of infectious diseases pathology at the U.S. Centers for Disease Control says.

Study of about 70 fatal H1N1 cases so far also reveals there may be more incidences of co-infections with bacteria than was earlier thought, Dr. Sherif Zaki told The Canadian Press in an interview.

The damage to lung tissue is consistent with that inflicted by ARDS or acute respiratory distress symptom, Zaki says, referring to an often-fatal, difficult-to-treat syndrome that can have a number of causes. The U.S. National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute estimates about 30 per cent of people who develop ARDS die.

"In terms of the disease, yes, it (H1N1) is remarkably different than seasonal flu," Zaki says. "The pathology looks very similar to H5(N1)."

The dangerous avian flu virus has killed 60 per cent of the 440 people known to have been infected with it. To date, though, the virus hasn't acquired the capacity to spread easily from person to person.

The swine flu patients who went on to die suffered lung damage and changes in the lungs that would have made it difficult to deliver enough oxygen into their bloodstreams, Zaki says.

That reflects the observation of intensive care doctors who've struggled to save these profoundly ill patients.

"That's what they saw in Winnipeg," Dr. Paul Hebert, an intensive care physician and editor of the Canadian Medical Association Journal, said recently of how hard it is to oxygenate swine flu patients who become gravely ill.

"They have everybody on experimental ventilators and techniques. They can barely keep them alive."

A number of doctors who have treated novel H1N1 patients - and colleagues who haven't yet - were meeting in Winnipeg this week discussing what steps hospitals and ICUs need to take to get ready for an expected increase in pandemic flu cases this fall and winter.

Zaki says finding ways to prevent cases from progressing to severe illness should be the goal, "because once it happens in these patients . . . it's very difficult to treat."

Strikingly high levels of virus were spotted in the lungs of people who died rapidly from swine flu, he says, though less is seen in those who die after a longer battle with the virus.

"Some people die very quickly of it, within days. And some have more protracted illness, maybe two, three weeks," he says.

"It's surprising the amounts (of virus) that you see.... But it's not unheard of," he adds, pointing to what was seen with SARS.

Earlier studies conducted in tissue culture and in ferrets - the best animal model for human flu - found the new virus is drawn to tissue found deep in the lung. That's a penchant it shares with H5N1. Seasonal flu viruses attack the upper airways.

Zaki says about a third of the fatal cases his team has reviewed involved co-infection with a bacterium, though the culprit varies.

Sometimes it is Staphylococcus aureus - the drug-resistant kind, known by the nickname MRSA and antibiotic-sensitive varieties as well. Some cases have involved group A Streptococcus. And some have been co-infection with Streptococcus pneumoniae.

"Those are the main three that we found."

"It was not very clear initially," Zaki adds of the frequency with which co-infection seems to occur in these cases. "But the more we studied, the more we realized that these do happen."

He suggests pneumococcal vaccine, used in the elderly to lower the risk of pneumonia, could be a useful tool if given to younger people. The highest numbers of deaths so far have been in people in their late 30s and 40s.

Some of the cases of co-infection have been in people who were hospitalized for an extended period, which wouldn't be all that surprising. But some were seen in people who weren't hospitalized.

With the new virus causing severe disease in only a small portion of cases, public health authorities have been criticized for overreacting and overhyping the threat swine flu poses. Some critics have suggested the new flu isn't really much worse than seasonal influenza.

From Zaki's vantage point, however, this is not regular flu.

"This is a new virus. It causes a different disease than what we're used to," he says. "So I don't think anybody can predict exactly, but it would be foolish not to be trying to study the disease more."

Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thanks4forum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2009 at 7:49am
good info! Thanks:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
  Share Topic